Monday 19 July 2010

District Inter Faith Relations Conference Day 1: afternoon

District Inter Faith Relations Conference: 14-15th July 2010
After lunch the programme said ` Theological Perspectives on Inter faith Experience: Where is God in the middle of this? ` Oh dear, I thought when I read it, although I am a local preacher, there is no way I am going to open my mouth in the company of all these ministers. How wrong I was! The Conference title for the two days was `You just can`t get the stereotypes these days……..` I got my stereotypes wrong with this session in a big way. First – the word theological / then that the ministers would be all knowing.
The Revd Dr Dominic Moghal, who is a Community Outreach priest with a wicked sense of humour, shared the passages Genesis 16 and Luke 9.51. He then posed the question` What is God saying about inter faith relations`. Wow! What a session! The first passage is about the story of Ishmael being born to Hagar and the reactions of others players in the story. The second passage from Luke is again about the differing reactions of Jesus and James and John.


My learning was all about God`s ways are not our ways, but have we the courage to follow and trust with our actions what he is saying. Again the journey (for me) is all about the telling of our own stories in shared open and respectful spaces. You could read the two Bible passages yourself and think about what they mean for you.
We then visited the Doha mosque, getting wet through on the walk there. We had a wonderful welcome. It was here where I found out how people on the outside of Methodism watch what we do. The man who showed us around congratulated us on the brave stance we had taken at Conference about the boycotting of goods from occupied lands in Israel / Palestine. This is a complicated situation and the Inter Faith Relations Officer, Joy Barrow, has been having conversations with leaders of the Jewish community regarding the contents of the Report and its recommendations. Why I ask, do we in the pews never get to hear of these things and particular the decisions which we are supposed to support?


Then we moved onto, at breath neck speed to our next visitor. Rajinder Singh Panesar, whom I fell in love with at first sight, gave us a power point presentation. What a lovely, down to earth man who spoke my language. My knowledge of Sikhism has been much enhanced by his openness and honesty about the issues facing his community. Did you know they have a bedroom for their Holy Book? It made me question how we treat the Bible. There is a debate to be had here for us Christians.

We were then shown to our accommodation, which we were told was basic student digs in one of the Bradford University halls of residence nearby. Actually it was luxury compared to what I had in my student days. We then finished our evening in where else, but a Curry House, then back to digs for coffee and fellowship; it made me remember my student days all over again. The perfect end to an incredible day!

Bea Foster
Photographs: Joy Barrow